Sunday, February 04, 2007

Irreplaceable?

Now that January's theme is over, I'm thinking that my theme for February is going to be "relationships". Not as visual, but let's go there.

First up, let's examine my favorite relationship song, "Irreplaceable" by Beyonce. Well, it's the end-of-a-relationship song anyway. Love the song musically. Lyrically, not so much...

"You must not know about me
You must not know about me
I can have another you in a minute
Matter of fact, he'll be here in a minute

You must not know about me
You must not know about me
I can have another you by tomorrow
Don't you ever get to thinking for a minute that you're irreplaceable"

Ouch! From the guy's perspective anyway. Beyonce's right of course. She could throw any man out and have another guy in a minute. So, how about the rest of us? Are we "irreplaceable" in our relationships?

I've been thinking about that since I first heard the song.

Honestly, I can't imagine Mrs. SCM leaving me. (Or throwing me out, as it were). But could she? If she got fed up enough with my shortcomings as a husband? Dissapointed enough with me?

As a cautionary tale, consider some friends of ours:

I was sitting behind my friend today at church. I've know him for almost two decades. His wife and he were the first to invite us over for dinner when we moved to town.

He's a handsome guy. Talented. Very personable. Makes a good living. You'd like him.

You'd like her, too. Attractive. Talented.

They were stars. High profile couple. Going places.

The thing is, his wife was always on his case. Always disappointed in him. He wasn't home enough. Didn't contribute enough around the house. Didn't have the right job. Whatever.

So, out of the blue and totally unforseen by everyone but me, she left him. Moved out on him cold. "This should wake him up", she told people. She moved out of town. She changed churches. She got her an apartment and a high paying job.

Did he "wake up"? She asked him that a year later when the divorce papers were to be signed, and she was desparately hoping for a reconciliation. Nothing doing, was his answer. He met a new woman. A nice woman, an attractive woman, a friendly woman. With much lower expectations.

I watched my friend and his new wife sitting in front of me today. He looks totally happy. Well matched. Adored by his new wife. Irreplaceble, apparently, to her. They make a nice couple.

Haven't heard much from the ex wife lately. She's out there, I hear. Going places in her new job. Not dating much. Probably regretting that she thought she was irreplaceable.

I'm thinking a lot about the song. Am I irreplaceable?

I don't want to find out.
posted by Semi-Celibate Man @ 10:39 PM | 0 comments

0 comments

<< Home